Remnants

Maybe I have left remnants of myself in the past  
A certain way I smiled, the innocence of course and above all the hope that shines through even in the B & W pics 
Maybe I continue to do so And surely that's why I'm often called out as living too much in the past
A certain smell, taste and feel, all my five senses collude in keeping me locked up there 
Like this old picture of my grandma drying the spicy hot vadams- in the summer ritual of making the dough in the wee hours of the morning and laying them out to dry in the hot summer sun
How certain drawers in my parents flat I open cautiously afraid of what might tumble out and rekindle my reminiscing 
How this salwar that I'm wearing in this old pic once again transports me back - of cycling furiously to tuition in the rain on the large Atlas cycle, Train journeys and Summer holidays to Trichy and Gandhigram
And ooh how this perfect concoction of sour, sweet and spicy and crispy wafers in this Grand Sweets Cornflakes mixture with the occasional slightly stale dried/desiccated coconut takes me right back to many a lazy Madras evening
And most importantly certain mannerism/ speech/ and of course tempers and angers of people who are no more with us. 
In a house full of people and dogs it was difficult to carve out your space and identity and I was too young to fathom all this.
But my goto identity for all those years in and outside the house, in and outside the country was and continues to be Ammakka.
These pictures show her for what was quintessentially her- a mother, grandma and great grandma taking care of children. 
She literally made child rearing a science (though she called it an art), with regiment like schedules and processes. 
I miss her voice over the line saying "Naa solradhu correcta Anju, Ammaka ku yenna theriyumnu nanikarae la"- Is what I'm saying correct Anju, you are thinking what does she know right? 
A treasure trove of knowledge from the past, even in her 90s she could still reel off dates and years of significant happenings both personal and political. 
I have phone recordings of her explaining the different Tamil measurements used in her child and adulthood which is basically circa 1920s. 
I miss and yearn for her wisdom some days where you feel things are stacked against you and its a lonely long fight.
Ultimately though living in the past does have negative connotations/consequences, I do believe it can enrich you/remind/recollect to you- your true self worth and all that you were meant to be. 
And renew hope like when you were just a wee girl on the swing trying to touch the sky with your toes with every upward push.

Comments

Popular Posts