A little love letter to my city...

There is something about the way the streets filled with sunlight and shade from the late afternoon sun on the gulmohar trees
Something about the rain drops that rolled down the tip of the waxy mango leaves from the first monsoon rains...
The fresh smell of salt and fish from the wet sands and sea breeze through the windows of the 23C bus along the beach road...
The way an idol in the dark corridors of the temple invoked something deep within me with her timeless beauty and a transient smile etched in stone...
The way the old flower lady smiled through her wrinkles as she measured out that length of the flower strand on her frail arms...
The smells of the lime, jasmine and magnolia flowers in my grandmothers garden that wafted my way when on the patio swing many an evening...
How the city never slept, with the sounds of crows, street dogs and cows that all added their own rhythm to the city's songs of life...
How the sun breaking through the clouds after a heavy downpour, or the moon a loyal companion on my lonely walk home always told me this...that in my heart of hearts there will be only one city that I will truly call home.

P.S:  Wrote this while listening to this on endless loop...

Comments

Popular Posts