The "Decision"

The park seat was still warm from the sun even though the cool breeze sent a slight shiver up my legs. So I got up to walk the stretch of the side walk as I waited. The sublime beauty of the evening was set off with the sun just going down beyond the trees and the bird calls rising from every corner of the park.

He should be here any moment now...I checked my watch one more time..It was 5:30 alright, so where was he??? We were supposed to meet in this corner of the park facing the street only right?? Let me just walk around the park perimeter to see if he has got off on the other side...

Today was the day "The decision" was to be made. We had set that date nearly two weeks ago. It was me who had come up with the idea that we should take a couple of weeks off from each other and go over our own thought processes before we sit down to discuss "The decision(s)" that were made separately. It was also me who had called back in the middle of the week saying I couldn't take it anymore and whether we could make it just one week instead of two. So him being him, of course graciously agreed to meet this Saturday the 28th of August 2010.

Nope, I don't see him on this side too..So whats taking him so long...He said he had left about 35 minutes ago...

Three months ago was when we had first met.May 22nd was the exact date. Appa had suggested "why don't you go meet him when you go down to Atlanta this weekend?". I did have that thought in my head and especially after Appa voiced it out it seemed too easy to pick the phone and call. He didn't pick and it went to the voicemail...so as I was trying to leave a message that sounded as casual as possible his mother picks the phone "Abhi is not home sweetheart! Did you know that we were visiting/staying with him? The number you have is his house number..If its anything important I can ask him to call you back today evening". So after some fumbling out of that unexpected situation I wait for his call. He called back promptly (as he has always since then) and agreed immediately to meet up that weekend.

I had tried to imagine the person he would be from the "about me" and the mails exchanged between the parents. Still, it was surprising how affable a person he was. Mr.Courteous was one of the first things that came to mind. There was also this innate boyish quality about him that comes through the sparkle in his eyes or that wide grin that creeps in suddenly. And that "other" slow smile...like when I dug into the "full" meals in Saravana Bhavan with my bare hands. There was definitely some very funny joke running in the back of his mind at that moment!

He's 10 minutes late already!!! Ok 5 more minutes and I'll make that call...

So the first meet up left me definitely curious but he seemed too good to be true....I was not sure if he would call back at all, as we had just up and gone after the lunch with no discussion about how the meeting went. So when that call came Monday morning, I heaved a huge sigh of relief and could stop messing my brains up with my good ole complexes of looks and such and such....But! meeting that Wednesday which was like two days away! "Kinda quick! won't you think?"as Appa put it. Still the excitement got to me and had to stop my usual castle building in the air and get to calming myself down already!!!

Wait! There is this car at the end of that street, a golden honda civix...definitely the same as his car! Could it be him? But its pulling out of the parking lot...

The second meet was also interesting enough that I kept going over and over it throughout the SFO trip with family! Was I letting my thoughts run away with me or did him calling back really translate to him being interested in me? Though the formal manner he put on sometimes and the pleasantries we exchanged after every phone call/meeting, left me wondering if communicating with him would always involve being bland and neutral. The weeks sped by and each date ended up with a plan for the next date and suddenly two and half months were up already and Appa was wondering " Do either of you have the guts to talk it out in the open and make a final decision at all?"

"Hey Lady!" Now is that food stall guy gesturing to me? "Hi..." " A guy just drove by in a car and asked me to give you this note"...."Oh! Thanks"... Now what does this mean....

Hi Anjali,

I have been thinking about our meetings as we had planned...And I feel like we have totally different interests and are not compatible at all. Therefore I would like to not go any further with this. It was really nice getting to know you and I wish you all the best in your future,

Abhi.

Thats its...this paltry answer to all the zillion questions, worries, analysis that had gone through my head all these weeks??? Do I even want to go down the same line of pointless analysis of what went wrong and what can I learn from this one another "incident" of me trying to find the "right someone"??? Or..Or or...Do I want to write a story about it which would be my emotional catharsis and some kinda entertainment (even if a wee bit too much information) for family/friends???;)))

Comments

Popular Posts